Civic Engagement believes in rewarding good deeds. Students can earn volunteer rewards through Civic Engagement, be nominated for university service awards and gain recognition for their service from the President of the United States through the President’s Volunteer Service Award.
President’s Volunteer Service Award
Students who completed 100 hours or more of community service during a calendar year are eligible for the President’s Volunteer Service Award. Recipients receive a personalized certificate, an official pin and a congratulatory letter from the President of the United States. Students must log all volunteer hours in order to be eligible for this award.
Students who have questions regarding how to log volunteer hours in order to be eligible for rewards should contact Civic Engagement at 404-413-1550.
Each month, staff members from Civic Engagement selects one student to be recognized as Volunteer of the Month for their hard work and dedication to serving in the greater Atlanta community. Additionally, the student is evaluated by their contributions to our school and campus community. Students, faculty, staff or community partners who are interested in nominating a student to be featured as Volunteer of the Month should contact the Director, Lovell Lemons, at 404-413-1553.
Students that are selected as Volunteer of the Month will receive a $50 textbook scholarship voucher. Each semester, staff members from Civic Engagement will select one person to be Volunteer of the Semester. This individual will receive a $250 textbook scholarship voucher.
Patton Awards for Community Service and Social Justice
Civic Engagement is currently accepting nominations for the 2019 Carl V. Patton President’s Awards for Community Service and Social Justice. This prestigious award will be given to individuals and organizations who exemplify commitment to serving others and the Atlanta community in April 2019. The five award categories are:
- Outstanding Community Impact Award, Student: Given to a Georgia State University student who has exemplified outstanding service to the community.
- Outstanding Community Impact Award, Student Organization: Awarded to a chartered Georgia State University student organization that has provided exemplary service to the community.
- Outstanding Faculty or Staff Award: Recognizes a Georgia State University faculty or staff member who has dedicated his or her time in addressing a need in the Atlanta community.
- Outstanding University Program Award: Acknowledges the efforts of campus programs that are created to serve Atlanta’s needs.
- Outstanding Community Partner Award: Highlights the relationship between Georgia State University and a non-profit community agency to address community needs.
Nomination forms are available in the Civic Engagement office, Student Center East, Suite 304 and should be submitted to Assistant Director, Byron Jones, in the Civic Engagement office.